Hedgehog in the Fog [Yuriy Norshteyn, 1975]
The two would meet every evening to drink tea from the cub’s samovar, which was heated on a fire of juniper twigs. As they drank their tea, the hedgehog and the bear conversed and counted the stars together. One day, the hedgehog decided to bring raspberry jam. As he went to the bear to count the stars, he passed through the woods and found a horse standing in a fog, where the hedgehog can’t even see his own pink paw. He is curious as to whether the horse would drown if it went to sleep in the fog. The hedgehog decides to explore the fog.
1) Exploring Joshua Tree with Erica and Xander. 2) Driving home. 3) Xander’s favorite thing to do in Minecraft is to build massive-massive structures, rig them with TNT and blow them up. 4) Emergency meeting. 5) Erica drinking coffee and doing cross-word puzzles… which I happen to find very funny. 6) CPR class at work. 7) I didn’t catch it on vide, but Greg finally landed this. Post-stick-finding mission. http://mikeambs.com/7x7
1) A day at the beach. 2) Xander getting his 4x5 taken - showing off his fancy new Angry Birds arm tattoo-sleeve. 3) Pinning up storyboards at work - one full wall down, 2 to go. 4) Reading Mad Libs in the truck. 5) Ran out of gas. 6) Laughing at all the Minecraft pigs riding around in circles. 7) Xander picking out dog-toys for Maeby. http://mikeambs.com/7x7
1) On my way to Florida for a last-minute project that came up at work. 2) Enjoying the waves between shooting. 3) Working out the details of a world. 4) New arrivials! 5) Lunch run. 6) Stretching out together. 7) Week 1 of storyboarding. Here we go! http://mikeambs.com/7x7
1) At the LA Art Book Fair with Gino and Tigerlily. 2) Launching the film’s official trailer and kickstarter. 3) Being lazy with Maeby and Erica. 4) On our way back to the office after a fairly intense lunch. 5) Gathering around the breakfast nook in Grandpa’s Den. 6) Hail. 7) Mailing out packages for 52 hz. http://mikeambs.com/7x7
1) Erica, as per usual, talking me into buying pillow-things. She has an obsession. 2) Greg and I watching videos on suspended wave-structures. Filed under research. 3) This is Maeby does every morning. 4) Erica taking Gino’s 4x5. 5) Shenanigans at work. 6) Kickstarter meet up just before the Los Angeles Art Book Fair. 7) Sharing funny stories with Lan and Aaron.
1) Eating lunch at GC3. 2) Erica dancing around the kitchen. 3) Paul giving Gino a hilariously hard-time during a recording session. 4) Lighting may not be our strong-suite, but we are creative about it. 5) Potting a terrarium with Erica. 6) It doesn’t rain often in LA, but when it does the streets flood 8 inches deep in some spots, which makes for a fun drive home. 7) Sharing things at the office.
Today, I am so incredibly proud to debut the film’s official trailer!
Many of you reading this were instrumental in FOR THOUSANDS OF MILES reaching this stage of production, and, I hope, that you share in this exciting moment; making a film is a collaborative effort, and I couldn’t have made it this far without your support.
I hope you enjoy the trailer. I hope you find it inspiring and moving. I hope it helps fill in the details of what exactly this film is, and why this project has been such an important project for me personally.
Today, we are also taking pre-orders for the film through our Kickstarter campaign. This campaign will not only 100% complete the film, but it will keep the film 100% independent!
Helping us release the film late-Spring of 2013.
One last special announcement! FOR THOUSANDS OF MILES will feature an original score by the amazingly-talented Eluvium! Eluvium has been our one-and-only choice for the film’s composer during the last few years of post-production, and to now be working with him on what is quickly becoming a beautiful-beautiful score, is a dream come true. You can pre-order the film’s original score on Kickstarter as well.
Please pass along this trailer and let your friends know about the project.
“From now on, I answer to no one”.
building a presentation for work…
via e on Vimeo
MIND OUT : PROJECT LONGARM - A project by Mattias Jones | www.madebyjones.com Towards the end of 2012, as part of The Festival of the Mind in Sheffield, myself and a small team of technicians, coders and mathematicians developed a drawing system and put it to work. The robots drew one line pattern solutions, the shortest line possible, derived from theories on how bees fly from flower to flower. It ended up covering three walls and the floor of a twenty foot cube in one unbroken line.
1) Xander telling Erica about a not-so-good day he had. 2) Staying late at the office, working on concept art. 3) Listening to Erica read Snow White. 4) Greg going over story points. 5) Picking up 4x5 negatives with Erica. 6) Listening to rough-drafts of the film’s score. 7) Taking in the sunset with Gino and Erica at Magic Tree.
1) Taking Xander’s portrait in the backyard. 2) Taking a short break at work to enjoy the sunset from the roof. 3) Xander sleeping in. 4) Saying goodbye never gets any easier. 5) Erica showing off her carpenter skills. 6) Enjoying a candle-lit dinner… except the candles are blocking our view of each other. 7) #kickstartallofthethings !
EXODUS - POTEMKIN notes: “This low poly semi-epic child hood tribute space saga called EXODUS was born when Peder Norrby asked us to make a short film using Trapcode MIR. We accepted the challenge, made up a multi part narrative and went to work, letting the plugin affect both our creative, narrative and technical results. This is the first part of a space epic, establishing the protagonists and a fragment of the universe as well as the timeline in which EXODUS takes place.”
Music and visuals by Magnus Östergren Production management by Thomas Oger Produced by POTEMKIN Commissioned by TRAPCODE / Peder Norrby
1) Spending a day at the Science Center - getting to see the Endeavour in real-life was amazing. 2) Climbing around rocks while Xander looks for geology-related clues. 3) Setting off party-poppers after New Years. 4) Making things with clay at work. 5) Out to dinner in Burbank. 6) Playing with kaleidoscopes. 7) Taking Xander to Carsland for the first time! He loved the new ride. http://mikeambs.com/7x7